Materials you’ll need:
Fabric (cotton or flannel works well for pillowcases)
Thread (matching or contrasting, depending on your preference)
Sewing machine or needle for hand-sewing
- Measure your pillow: Measure the length and width of your pillow. Add 1 inch to the length and 2 inches to the width for the seam allowance and ease.
2. Cut the fabric: Using scissors, cut two pieces of fabric according to the measurements obtained in step 1. These will be the front and back pieces of your pillowcase.
3. Place the fabric right sides together: With the right sides of the fabric facing each other, place the front and back pieces of fabric on top of each other, aligning the edges.
4. Pin and sew the edges: Use pins to secure the fabric layers together along the raw edges, leaving one short end open for the pillow insertion. Using a sewing machine or needle and thread, sew a straight stitch along the edges, leaving a 1/2-inch seam allowance.
5. Trim the corners: Trim the excess fabric from the corners to reduce bulk when turning the pillowcase right side out. Be careful not to cut through the stitching.
6. Turn the pillowcase right side out: Reach through the open end and carefully turn the pillowcase right side out, pulling the fabric through. Use a blunt object, such as a pencil or chopstick, to gently push out the corners for crisp edges.
7. Press the pillowcase: Use an iron to press the pillowcase, flattening the seams and creating a neat finish.
8. Finish the open end: Fold the raw edges of the open end of the pillowcase to the inside by about 1/2 inch, and press with an iron. Then, fold it over by another 1/2 inch to create a clean edge, and press again. Pin the folded edge in place, and sew along the edge to close the pillowcase.
9. Optional: Add decorative trim: If desired, you can add decorative trim, such as lace, ribbon, or piping, along the edges of the pillowcase. Simply pin the trim in place along the edges, and sew it on using a straight stitch.
And that’s it! You’ve made a homemade pillowcase. Enjoy using it to add a personal touch to your bedding!